I have a vivid memory of once going to Balashan Mash, the headmaster of the school, accompanied by my grandma. She humbly requested if he could take my big brother ' Elyas' back, who was studying at Memunda High School in 6th or 7th grade. During that time, there was a fear of mad dogs in the area. So, Ummama (my grandma) and I went to the school authorities to inquire if it was possible to transfer my brother back to Paramel School. However, the authorities informed us that Paramel School only offered education up to the fourth grade. This is a moment where love surpasses reason - when you ask for what you want, oblivious to the limitations and circumstances surrounding you. There was a special love towards my big brother from Ummama. She was a very religious village woman, yet bold enough to handle her village matters alone. For me, the religious harmony that existed in Kerala then and now should be credited to such honest and sincere village dwellers. In our surroundings, we have people of all kinds of faiths, and Ummama, being a religious and devoted person herself, always cared for the neighbors who belonged to other faiths. I have learned that the village friendship was sincere and strong enough to create harmony.
After completing my four years of Primary Education, my parents enrolled me in a nearby hostel named 'B.M.S. (Bafaqeeh Memorial School)' Life in the hostel was a completely different experience. My new school, 'Memunda High School,' also held historical significance, as it was believed that my father and ancestors had studied there. The school was just a stone's throw away from the hostel. Initially, hostel life felt restrictive, akin to being in jail, but it soon transformed into a heavenly experience. I found companionship with numerous comrades, made friends, and enjoyed playing with my hostel mates, all while savoring delightful food.
In the hostel, I learned to be a bit more social as I was one of the most shy kids ever. My speed of speech was very slow, and I would take a long time to reply to questions. Despite my shyness, I was the topper in school that year and won prizes.
Once at the beginning of the school year, the class teacher brought a very limited number of textbooks and said that we would draw lots to determine who would get the books. With over twenty-five kids in the classroom, only 10 books were available. So, whoever drew a chit with "BOOKS" written on it would get the textbooks. I too drew my lot, but unfortunately, my chit was blank. In a moment of quick thinking, I wrote "BOOKS" on my chit with my pen. When the drawing was over, the class teacher asked the kids who had chits with "BOOKS" written on them to stand up. I too stood up along with ten other kids. The class teacher noticed that there was one extra and carefully examined each kid's paper. Eventually, my paper was identified as having a different handwriting. This was the first time in my life I was caught for attempting a smart cheat. I was brought to the school principal's room and warned not to repeat such behavior. What astonished me was that the kid sitting next to me, who never cared for his books, was lucky enough to get the textbooks, while I, who was eager to get one, did not. Life sometimes seems unjust, but we must accept it as it is.
BMS hostel was a religious boarding school at its core, with the purpose of teaching kids discipline and character development. We were allowed to play during the evening and morning hours, along with Madrassa studies. Every morning, we were woken up for Fajr prayer. We marched to the nearby Masjid in an orderly manner for the Maghrib prayer. Before Maghrib, we all sat in rows and chanted glorifications and praises to Almighty Allah. Another memorable aspect of the hostel were the Milaad Nabi programs. I was given a speech to deliver, and I spoke in front of an audience for the first time, though at a slow pace (-2x speed). My brother used to win numerous prizes in speeches and other activities.
Kerala's Muslim community is predominantly characterized by a moderate religious outlook while also valuing and preserving centuries-old traditional arts and music inherited through generations. Among these art forms are Mappila kalakal, Mappila patt, and various other traditional expressions. Additionally, they boast a rich scholarly heritage spanning over a thousand years and maintain a strong sense of respect and adherence to a hierarchical structure within the community.

